With all the “Grey” screens on the market today, there is a lot of confusion that comes with the title. Here is a quick breakdown: Cinegrey is matte gray. Cinegrey 3D® is an actual ambient light rejecting screen for standard throw projectors. CLR® (Ceiling Light Rejecting) rejects ambient light but works only with ultra short throw projectors. The discussion here sheds more light on the topic.
*The discussion below is based on actual chat transcripts with the omission of any personal/confidential material to protect the customer’s privacy. An example in this case is to change the contact’s identification name/number to “Customer” or a generic name.
- 4:00:00 PM Rick – Thank you for contacting the service department. Hello, I’m Rick, how may I help you?
- 8:57:43 AM Customer- Hello, I just have a quick question.
- 8:58:08 AM Customer – I am looking to buy an Elite Screen but I just want to make sure i get the right one
- 8:58:17 AM Rick – Yes, I would be glad to help.
- 8:58:36 AM Customer – It will be for my living room and there is plenty of outside light because of all the windows.
- 8:59:10 AM Customer – Which screen would it fit better; the Cingrey (regular grey), Cinegrey 3D (ALR) or the CLR (Ceiling Light Rejecting)
- 9:02:14 AM Rick – Here’s the breakdown, the Cinegrey is a regular matte grey material that is more suitable for older projectors that have ample brightness but poor contrast performance. There is still demand for it but it would not be ideal for your ambient light since it actually darkens your image.
- The Cinegrey 3d is and ambient light rejecting screen material that will work great with ambient room lighting with a standard throw projector which is what most people have. More than likely, this is precisely the screen material you will want to have. This product will not work with UST projectors
- CLR (ceiling light rejecting) screens also reject ambient light but are specifically designed for use with Ultra Short Throw (UST) projectors. In addition to filtering out the washout effects of ambient light, the latter two materials enhance the dynamic range in black white levels as well as enhance color temperature.
- 9:02:28 AM Customer – Ahh ok, in this case the Cinergy 3D will be the one to buy correct?
- 9:03:11 AM Customer – The projector I have is the Optoma HD142X
- 9:03:28 AM Rick – Yes, this will work great for your installation.
- 9:04:20 AM Rick – Also this projector puts out a good amount of lumen (brightness).
- 9:04:30 AM Customer – Does it matter if I buy directly from you or your resellers?
- 9:04:48 AM Rick – It will likely drop ship from our facility either way but our resellers generally offer a better advantage on price.
- 9:05:19 AM Customer – Okay, I intend to order a Cinegrey 3D AR100DHD3 then.
- 9:05:28 AM Customer – 100 inch diagonal
- 9:05:32 AM Rick – Also if you can control more of your ambient light you can even use the standard white material.
- 9:07:57 AM Customer – Perfect thanks, but my ambient light is pretty high. I think I’ll stick with an ALR screen.
- 9:08:09 AM Customer – That was all I needed to ask. Thanks for the help and have a good day.
- 9:08:20 AM Rick – It was my pleasure. Thank you for choosing Elite Screens