One of the biggest questions in ALR (ambient light rejecting) projector screen technology is “which projector can I use this with?” ALR screens are designed to reject off-axis light meaning that it will not work with an ultra short throw (UST) projector. Since UST projectors are growing in popularity while becoming more affordable. This is where a new version of ALR projectors comes into play. The Ceiling Light Rejecting (CLR) projector screens. Since, UST projectors throw from the bottom up onto the screen, there was need for a new design that filters out overhead (ceiling) light but allows low vertical axis light signals to be presented in its full visible acuity.
Here are the links used in the discussion:
*The discussion below is based on actual chat transcripts with the omission of any personal/confidential material to protect the customer’s privacy. An example in this case is to change the contact’s identification name/number to “Customer” or a generic name.
- [21:18] CUSTOMER: I’m on Amazon right now trying to buy a screen from you guys. I have an LG PF1000U projector that is ultra short throw, and on amazon it says cinegray 3d and 5d is not compatible. The problem is I have a lot of ambient light in the room and want to have a clear picture in that light. what should I do?
- [21:19] Rick: Hello I’m Rick from the ES service department, I’d be happy to assist.
- [22:21] Rick: The Cinegrey 3D/5D projectors are specifically designed for use with standard-throw projectors. They are ambient light rejecting because they enhance direct light while rejecting off-axis light. UST (ultra short throw) projectors like the LG PF1000U throw an off-axis image from an angle that standard ALR materials reject. This is why Amazon is coded to not sell the two together. There is an ALR option available for your projector though. It’s called the Aeon CLR.
- [22:25] CUSTOMER: Interesting. Can you tell me more about the Aeon CLR.
- [22:26] CUSTOMER: A friend of mine has your screens, and I saw it and was just floored. I’m hoping I can get the 3d or 5d effect with my short throw projector with another screen if possible, because the room is very bright.
- [23:27] Rick: Yes you can and here is the link http://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/154
- [23:58] Rick: This is our AEON CLR series; this is a ceiling light rejecting screen. It is made specifically for UST projectors to essentially give you the same results as you saw with your friend’s screen.
- [24:10] CUSTOMER: How about ambient light from windows/doors?
- [24:29] Rick: It will mitigate the washout effects from these light sources as well.
- [24:30] CUSTOMER: Awesome
- [23:31] CUSTOMER: Thank you for the help sir!
- [24:32] CUSTOMER: I got the Cinegrey sampler for 3d, 5d, and the regular one, but it looks like this is the far better choice
- [24:43] Rick: I’m glad to help. Thanks for talking with me.
- [24:44] CUSTOMER: have a great one!
- [24:45] Rick: thank you, have a great day.