The question of “What’s better; matte white or ambient light rejecting (ALR Grey)?” is a big one. This question goes over the discussion and provides valuable links to the full story on which is which.
- Difference between Matte White and ALR:
- Instructions on proper screen placement
*The discussion below is based on actual chat transcripts with the omission of any personal/confidential material to protect the customer’s privacy. An example in this case is to change the contact’s identification name/number to “Customer” or a generic name.
- [19:32] Jaime: Hello, how may I help you?
- [19:32] Customer: hi
- [19:32] Customer: I am trying to figure out if i should go with B2, Matte White material…
- [19:32] Customer: or AEON ?
- [19:32] Customer: What is the difference between ALR grey and white?
- [19:32] Customer: It is going to be for a dedicated media room so fixed frame is fine.
- [19:32] Customer: no window
- [19:35] Jaime: the choice is really up to your design preference.
- [19:35] Jaime: You have control over the room lighting either a matte white or ALR (ambient light rejecting) is fine.
- [19:36] Customer: so both white and grey is the same?
- [19:36] Jaime: It is but it also depends if you want to run your movies with the room light on. If so, I would take the grey ALR material.
- [19:36] Customer: I have dimmers
- [19:36] Jaime: No, B2 is a black velvet frame
- [19:36] Jaime: the Aeon does not have that external framework wrapped around the edges.
- [19:36] Customer: so it is a pitch dark room
- [19:37] Jaime: The edge-free design like Aeon is the most popular.
- [19:37] Customer: some said grey is better for theater?
- [19:37] Jaime: The gray (ALR) material will enhance contrast and boost image brightness.
- [19:38] Jaime: But, you can also use the grey in a dark room also. You can even run your projector at a lower setting to stretch out your battery life.
- [19:38] Jaime: I recommend looking at our tech tip on projector placement
- [19:39] Jaime: this is the installation tip for the grey material: https://elitescreens.com/images/download/material/userguides/ALR_angular_reflective_material_Installation_Tip.pdf
- [19:39] Customer: have a Sony projector, so I don’t know if it makes any difference.
- [19:39] Jaime: Sony projectors are an excellent choice, it will work well with your projector.
- [19:44] Jaime: Here is a tech tip with video on the difference between matte white and ALR: https://elitescreens.com/front/front/newsdetail/news/351
- [19:44] Customer: that makes my decision easier
- [19:48] Jaime: I’m glad to hear that. Is there anything else I can help you with?
- [19:50] Customer: No, this explains it. I will go over everything and make my decision.
- [19:51] Jaime: If you need anything else, I’m just a click away.
- [19:52] Customer: Ok, thanks for the help.
- [19:52] Jaime: Thank you for choosing Elite Screens