Here is a great discussion for an enthusiastic customer building the home theater room of his dreams. The discussion covers room brightness, selecting the right projection screen size and why a white screen material will be best under these circumstances.
Here are the links used in the discussion that are for some favorite UST projector-friendly screens:
- Video – Selecting the best screen size: https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/screen_size_edu.mp4
- Video – ANSI Lumens and room brightness: https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/ANSI_Lumens_and_Screen_Gain_Educational_Video.mp4
*The discussion below is based on actual chat transcripts with the omission of any personal/confidential material to protect the customer’s privacy. An example in this case is to change the contact’s identification name/number to “Customer” or a generic name.
- [19:00] Rick: Hello, How may I help you?
- [19:00] Customer: Hi there! We’re looking for a 150″ screen…and I have NO idea which screen I’m looking for! LOL
- [19:01] Customer: We’re building our new home. We’ve built a dedicated theatre room…with stepped seating etc…
- [19:01] Customer: No windows..everything has been thought out.
- [19:01] Customer: We’d liked a fixed-frame screen and budget is an issue.
- [19:02] Rick: Okay for a dedicated home theater I recommend the fix frame screen ER150WH2
- [19:02] Rick: Here is the product page
- [19:02] Rick: https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/48
- [19:03] Customer: Fantastic! How would this be with 4k and black levels in general? Assuming the proper projector?
- [19:04] Rick: Newer projectors have better black white dynamic range and even color contrast so as long as you have control over your room lighting, a white material should serve you well.
- [19:05] Rick: We also have a few screens that use a grey material that assist to bring a good balance in black and white.
- [19:06] Customer: In your opinion…for a home theater like ours…we have a concession stand…and stepped seating so we’re not fooling around LOLOL what would you best recommend?
- [19:06] Rick: Since you have a dedicated theater room I recommend the standard white material.
- [19:06] Rick: Also do you have your projector selected.
- [19:07] Customer: No not yet! Hoping you had some ideas! LOL I currently have an epson but it’s on the lower end and 5 years old. That’s staying with our current house.
- [19:09] Customer: I would take any and all advice you’re giving!
- [19:09] Rick: Generally, I recommend a mainstream brand with about a 2500-3000 lumen output for a screen your size.
- [19:10] Rick: Also, I want to make sure that you’re happy with your installation so I have a few educational videos for you. To make sure you are not getting a screen that’s too big, here is a tutorial on selecting the best screen size: https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/screen_size_edu.mp4
- [19:10] Rick: Here is also a video on room brightness: https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/ANSI_Lumens_and_Screen_Gain_Educational_Video.mp4
- [19:10] Rick: Lastly, here is some advice on proper screen placement: https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/MountingScreen_RightHeight.mp4
- [19:11] Customer: Ok thanks for the help! I’ll take it from here.
- [19:12] Rick: It was my pleasure; thank you for choosing Elite Screens.