This customer is very interested in knowing the difference between matte white and matte gray projection screen materials. The discussion and vide link also covers the entire discussion on this topic.
- Video – How to select a projection screen material
*The discussion below is based on actual chat transcripts with the omission of any personal/confidential material to protect the customer’s privacy. An example in this case is to change the contact’s identification name/number to “Customer” or a generic name.
- [20:40] Customer: I am looking at a CineTension TE150 and I prefer white material but I see it is also matte grey. What is the difference.
- [20:41] Jaime: I’d be glad to help sir. The difference is that the standard grey is 1.0 gain, the white is 1.1 gain, making it a little more reflective and bright. Matte grey is good if you have good light control but low contrast on your projector. Today’s projectors have pretty good contrast ratings, so unless, you have an older projector, I’d stick with the white material.
- [20:41] Jaime: As you can see, the TE150 has white material so you are in good shape here.
- [20:42] Customer: So, real world differences are not overly noteworthy if I have light control either way?
- [20:43] Jaime: It depends on the set up. But I can tell you that today’s projectors don’t need a grey surface to perform well. We carry matte grey because we still get occasional requests.
- [20:43] Jaime: I always recommend to use the white material and to control the room lighting. If room lighting cannot be controlled, we also sell ambient light rejecting screen materials.
- [20:43] Customer: Okay, I’ll stick with white.
- [20:44] Customer: So the 150″… is that your cinewhite? Like in the Cinetension 2?
- [20:44] Jaime: Yes, that is correct. Here is a great video on our various screen materials and how to choose them. https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/Selecting_a_screen_material_for_my_home_theater_cc_720.mp4
- [20:44] Customer: ok thanks
- [20:44] Customer: I’ll take it from here.
- [20:45] Jaime: Thank you for choosing Elite Screens.
- [20:45] Customer: Yep, I appreciate the time.