This installer is putting in a cheap, easy, and fun projection screen but has questions about sunlight and how far it should be from the wall and the window behind it.
Here are the links used in the discussion:
- Video: DIY Wall 3 Screen – https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/DIYWall3_OutdoorAssembly_VideoWeb.mp4
*The discussion below is based on actual chat transcripts with the omission of any personal/confidential material to protect the customer’s privacy. An example in this case is to change the contact’s identification name/number to “Customer” or a generic name.
- [15:16] Rick: Hello, how may I help you.
- [15:16] Customer: Hi Rick … Hope you’re having a good day .. I’ll try and make this quick …
- [15:17] Customer: I have a client that requires a basic screen like the DIY Wall 3 Series, but, “It has to hang away from the wall and from the ceiling tiles behind it. How far should I put it out?
- [15:18] Rick: Is he looking for a retractable screen?
- [15:19] Customer: He said maybe but would prefer a non-motorized screen that will just hang there but pack away easy. I’m using a standard long-throw projector in a 16:9 aspect ratio with preferably a 100” screen.
- [15:20] Rick: I can recommend any of our 16:9/100” motorized models. They also have a matte white projection surface but it’s a touch brighter than the DIY Wall 3.
- [15:21] Rick: Certainly. Let’s keep it easy and focus on the DIY Wall 3.
- [15:23] Rick: How far does he want to mount the screen from the window? the DIY wall 3 needs 2 top anchor points. Make sure there are no drafts in the room that may move the screen. It is pretty light but it will pack away just as your customer wants.
- [15:24] Customer: so the DIY can hang from the ceiling then, if so, does it require any additional gear to do so ?
- [15:24] Customer: it is to remain in the room?
- [15:27] Rick: No, this series is a simple set up, it is made up with the screen and the two bars that hold the screen in place so it just needs 2-hooks. It is supposed to be used as a temporary outdoor setup product but will work nicely indoors. Be sure to keep it away from direct sun and use black out shades on the windows. UV radiation destroys projection screen materials over time. Also, the ambient light from the window will wash out the picture.
- [15:49] Customer: OK, not sure if you are still there, but is there another option, assuming that there are no blinds ?
- [15:50] Rick: If he doesn’t have blinds he will need to bring the screen down to prevent the material from getting brittle due to sun damage. Direct sunlight destroys synthetic materials such as projection screens.
- [15:50] Customer: OK, apparently the window has blinds
- [15:50] Rick: perfect as long he can protect the screen from the sun this unit will work for him.
- [15:51] Customer: OK – so does he need anything else to hang from the ceiling?
- [15:52] Customer: or is there a similar unit to the DIY 3 meant for hanging from the ceiling?
- [15:53] Rick: he will need to purchase hook screws to be able to hang it from the ceiling, The typical distance is within 1-foot from the wall. Here is the full product video that covers everything you’d want to know about the DIY Wall 3 https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/DIYWall3_OutdoorAssembly_VideoWeb.mp4
- [15:54] Customer: OK – Thank you Rick, have a Great day … Cheers …
- [15:55] Rick: Thank you for choosing Elite Screens.