This discussion starts off describing the benefits of an ALR (ambient light rejecting) material and then there’s a curve ball. The customer has a UST (ultra-short throw) projector and it requires an even more specialized material. The Aeon CLR® (ceiling light rejecting) projector screen comes through on all levels. Here are some informative links on the topic.
- Video – UST projectors working with screens – https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/UST_Compatibility.mp4
- Article on Standard, Short Throw, and UST projectors with screens – https://elitescreens.com/front/front/newsdetail/news/355
*The discussion below is based on actual chat transcripts with the omission of any personal/confidential material to protect the customer’s privacy. An example in this case is to change the contact’s identification name/number to “Customer” or a generic name.
- [18:06] Customer: Hi – I’m looking at the TE100HW2 and I’m wondering if you can get this or something similar with another screen material.
- [18:07] Customer: The other screen material can have narrow viewing angles as long as it can deal with some ambient light for daytime projection.
- [18:07] Customer: I’d like to trade viewing angle for gain and possibly go with a darker color surface
- [18:08] Customer: I am told that this is called ALR, ambient light rejecting or “gray”
- [18:08] Rick: Yes, we have ambient light rejecting materials to accommodate you. They have a narrower viewing cone but combine reflected light into a bright image with image clarity, contrast and bold color saturation.
- [18:09] Rick: It is ambient light rejecting and will work well with bright interior lighting including daytime ambient light. We call it the Starling Tab-Tension CineGrey® 5D Series and it works great with standard long-throw projectors. I’ll send you the link.
- [18:09] Rick: https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/36#section1
- [18:10] Customer: Thanks I’ll take a look at this
- [18:12] Customer: can you tell me what the model number of this would be in a 106″ diagonal measurement with that grey surface?
- [18:13] Customer: 16:9 HDTV aspect Ratio.
- [18:16] Customer: looks like STT106UHD5-E12
- [18:18] Customer: Is there any concern using this with a UST projector?
- [18:23] Rick: Yes, I strongly advise against using a UST (ultra short throw) projector because your picture quality will suffer. UST projectors throw at a very off-axis angle and this screen material will filter it out like it would with off-axis room lighting.
- [18:24] Customer: I have a UST for this application and they’re going to place it on the bottom side of the screen (same side as the viewers)
- [18:26] Rick: We have a specialty material that also filters out ambient light but is designed to work with UST projectors. It is called the Aeon CLR. Here is the link. https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/36#section1
- [18:27] Rick: Here is a great video on UST projector Compatibility – https://elitescreens.com/elitetube/UST_Compatibility.mp4
- [18:36] Rick: Here is a great article on the topic as well – https://elitescreens.com/front/front/newsdetail/news/355
- [18:47] Customer: Okay, I watched the video and am reviewing the article now. I think I’ll get an Aeon CLR in 100”. It will fit my wall nicely.
- [18:47] Rick: I’m glad to help. Was there anything I could further assist you with?
- [18:47] Customer: Nope. I appreciate the help.
- [18:49] Rick: I appreciate your business. Thank you for choosing Elite Screens.