This discussion explains that to date, direct sunlight at the peak sunlight hours defeats all video images with the exception of commercial digital signage.
- Yard Master 2 Product page https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/241
- Tech Tip on Yard Master 2 Dual projection – https://elitescreens.com/front/front/newsdetail/news/393
*The discussion below is based on actual chat transcripts with the omission of any personal/confidential material to protect the customer’s privacy. An example in this case is to change the contact’s identification name/number to “Customer” or a generic name.
- [18:51] Rick: Hello, how may I help you.
- [18:52] Customer: I am looking to purchase a yardmaster 2 front projector screen with high gain for ambient light. what model do you recommend?
- [18:53] Rick: As of now, there is not an ALR material that can be casually rolled up and stuffed in the case with a portable screen. We have a rear screen for our Yard Master 2 that provides a 2.2 gain our other screen is just standard white.
- [18:54] Rick: https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/241
- [18:54] Rick: Although these screens do not use an ALR material, the WraithVeil rear-projection material does compensate fairly well for ambient light and you typically don’t have to worry about foot traffic passing between the projector and screen when you are running “RP”.
- [18:54] Customer: Does rear projection screen work with front projection
- [18:56] Rick: No, this is only a dedicated rear. We do have a “Dual” variant that can be projected on from the front or rear but it will not be as bright as the dedicated RP. Here is a tech tip on that. https://elitescreens.com/front/front/newsdetail/news/393
- [18:57] Customer: Okay, is there anything that works well in direct sunlight?
- [18:57] Rick: The only type of video display that can give a decent picture with direct sunlight would be commercial digital signage like what you would see on Las Vegas Blvd. To date, there is neither a flat panel display or ALR screen that can reject that level of brightness. “Lux” is the SI unit of measure for brightness to determine “how bright it is” wherever measured (indoor and outdoor). Ex. Office lighting is about 320-500 lux whereas direct sunlight typically measures 32,000-100,000 lux. As of now, direct sunlight is just too bright for projectors and screens.
- [18:57] Customer: Thanks, good to know. Since I am not running a casino, the digital signage is out but I’d still like the screen for evening time as the sun is setting. Looks like the Yard Master Dual is the winner. Thanks again for walking me through it.
- [18:58] Rick: Thank you for choosing Elite Screens. I appreciate your business.