This is a great discussion on both acoustic transparency and the anamorphic requirements needed to make the big screen performance happen no matter if it is HDTV television content, Widescreen Movie content, or placing speakers behind the screen.
- Article – HDTV to Widescreen Video and Projector Displays. https://elitescreens.com/front/front/newsdetail/news/212
- Article – Understanding Acoustic Screen Transparency https://elitescreens.com/front/front/newsdetail/news/268
*The discussion below is based on actual chat transcripts with the omission of any personal/confidential material to protect the customer’s privacy. An example in this case is to change the contact’s identification name/number to “Customer” or a generic name.
- [18:19] Customer: Hello
- [18:20] Customer: I wish to buy an acoustically transparent screen
- [18:20] Customer: in 2.35:1 format
- [18:22] Customer: This will be with a sim2 crystal 4 projector. but this projector does not have zoom & focus and memory lens.
- [18:22] Customer: So i will be buying an anamorphic lens from Panamorph
- [18:22] Customer: So when I will be playing 2.35:1 content, where will the black bars be?
- [18:23] Rick Thank you for reaching out. You have a lot of options here. Your anamorphic lens will form your projected content to a 2.35:1 format screen without bars (letterbox) or you can buy a 16:9 screen and run perfectly formatted HDTV content on it or 2.35:1 in letterbox.
- [18:24] Rick : We do have a few models of AT screens that are 2.35:1 ratio. The Black frame are around the screen about 2.5 thick. We also have an electric screen that hosts alternating 16:9 & 2.35:1 format screens. Here is a great educational article on the topic: https://elitescreens.com/front/front/newsdetail/news/212
- [18:25] Rick : Do you know the diagonal size you are looking into. Here is a great article on acoustic screen transparency https://elitescreens.com/front/front/newsdetail/news/268
- [18:25] Customer: I need a 140″ wide screen in 2.35:1
- [18:25] Customer: which is about 152″ diagonal
- [18:26] Customer: my question is when playing 2.35 content will be black bars be on either sides or will they be on top and bottom?
- [18:27] Rick : There are many sizes to choose from and even if you can format the image to match the width of a 16:9 screen, you will still have the letterboxing at the top/bottom of the screen.
- [18:27] Rick : Here is an image of our most common frame screen
- [18:27] Rick : https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/143
- [18:28] Rick : However, you may consider our anamorphic projection screen if it does not necessarily be an acoustically transparent material. https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/32 we also have a tensioned variant https://elitescreens.com/front/front/productdetail/product/56
- [18:30] Customer: Great. Thanks for the help.
- [18:30] Rick : Thank you for choosing Elite Screens.